Friday 5 October 2007

To Care or not to Care, that is the question.

I've just spent 30 minutes reading over Steve's blog and comments and I realized that I have a lot of opinions about a lot of issues. This is annoying. It's hard being so passionate about things. Sometimes I feel as though my heart is going to explode. I have always thought having a big heart was a good thing. It allows me to care and respect more about people. But lately I have realized that this isn't always a good thing. You see, when you allow yourself to care too much about people or anything really, you are leaving yourself wide open for heartache. And when you care as intensely about something or someone as I do, the heartache is can be unbearable. I have always been "too sensitive" and I realize that this is probably my worst personality trait, but I always thought it was counter-balanced by the fact it meant I cared. It seems however, that I was wrong. Someone recently pointed out to me that there's no point in caring about the world or the people whom live in it, as sooner or later, it will come back and bite you on the arse. I thought this person was just being negative and grumpy, but after much consideration, I think they have a point.

I've always been (or tried to be) the peace keeper. The one whom always looked at people's positive qualities rather then dwell on the negative ones. But lately I have found myself wondering why I'm bothering. I mean, there are so many people around me whom constantly bring me down. Whether it be because they are miserable in their life, or they can only feel better in themselves by putting others down, or maybe they just don't know how else to act. I have always thought it was my "mission" to help these people. And on a selfish level, it made me feel better about myself too, but I truly am starting to doubt whether the effort is warranted.

Now before you all start to worry or wonder whom I'm referring to, trust me when I say, it's no one person, nor is it anyone whom will read this. This is just the way I have been feeling during the last couple of weeks and I am taking this opportunity to vent.

Bad things happen to good people all the time and I wonder whether this is the universe's way of telling us that life simply sucks. Wow I'm starting to sound Emo.... That's it, I'm going now to find something sharp to cut myself!! That is all.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I wouldn't go as far as to say you shouldn't care about the world or the people in it, there's not really much else in life when it comes down to it.
I would say though that you shouldn't bother helping people, at least not in the way you're talking about which is to try and make them better people or something. You can't change people, people can only change themselves. Just be there for them when they need you.

Jason said...

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."

Don't stop caring. Do accept that you may not always be able to act on it.